In Memory


go to bottom 
  Post Comment

08/26/09 10:05 PM #1    

Paul Hoefler

Such a shock ... was looking forward to catching up with Eddie and sharing old stories and experiences. Only car I remember with a push button transmission. My mother loved his crewcut and smile. A great guy who was fun through out high school.

09/19/09 01:39 PM #2    

Augie Sisco

Ed and I went through Hawthorne School and OPHS together. We played hockey together and there were countless times at Fox Park, just the two of us, working on tip ins, then three doors South on Oak Park avenue to warm up.

He was off to Illinois and I to Notre Dame. We'd get together from time to time, but we really became close when we both worked for Associations in the Chicago area. We use to enjoy the fact that none or our other friends knew what we did for a living; they didn't understand the myriad of associations and society's in this country and what they did.

Ed had a cushy #2 man position with the American College of Surgeons at the same time as I owned an Association Management Company with 25 employees and 20 client associations to manage. One day he called me and said he was thinking of leaving the College and going to work for Smith-Bucklin the largest management company in country and what did I think. I was speechless for about a minute, then told him to go ahead if we wanted to trade a solid position with the College for the insanity of managing more than one association, traveling half the time, etc. He did and he prospered, becoming a partner.

We got together often during these times. Then Smith Bucklin was sold and Ed opted for a buy out and retired to North Carolina with his wonderful wife Pat. When he visited Chicago after that we'd meet for lunch.

Ed and Pat had a lovely daughter, Margaret, who was born with cystic fibrosis. Margaret outdid all expectancy but passed away at 29 years of age. I was able to attend the services and funeral and was so glad to be able to share there sorrow.

Ed and Pat moved to Jacksonville. FL shortly thereafter, where her folks resided. Then Ed was diagnosed with cancer in the summer of 2007. I'd have never known save a phone call from a mutual friend at Smith Bucklin.

Ed was also a pretty private person. During his last months I tried to speak with him and get down to see him. But he'd have none of it. We did communicate regularly through Pat via phone and email. Ed was an an avid gardener and Pat told me that he would give her instructions about what to do with certain trees and plants..."when I am gone, be sure to"...

I miss Ed.

Augie Sisco

09/19/09 08:54 PM #3    

Suzanne Duffy-Kane

Thank you for sharing with the rest of us. Ed was in my homeroom and I remembr his crew cut. How sensitive of you to keep up with him.
Suzanne (Sue) Duffy-Kane

go to top 
  Post Comment


Click here to see Ed's last Profile entry.